Mission & Covenant
“But the just shall live by his (her) faith (Imani).” Habakkuk 2:4
GREATER IMANI CHURCH AND CHRISTIAN CENTER is the result of our Pastor’s vision given him by Jesus, The Christ, Our Lord. Greater Imani is a God-appointed agency for the salvation of men, women and children. Its mission is to a world “lying in wickedness,” to men “dead in trespasses, and sins,” as the “bearer of glad tidings,” to “prisoners of hope (amani,” and “herald of the great salvation of the lost.”).
“For this cause, Christ gave Himself for the church, that He might present it to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle, or any such things, but that it should be holy and without blemish.” Eph. 5:27.
The responsibility of GREATER IMANI is both spiritual and temporal. As a body, it is to make its influence felt far and near. Each member should strive to be and to do what the entire church ought to be and do, the light of the world, the salt of the earth, a city set on a hill that cannot be hid.
At GREATER IMANI, there is work for all, and adapted to the condition, ability and capacity of each; old and young, great and small, male and female. The efficiency and usefulness of GREATER IMANI depends on each member doing his own work, so as neither to attempt the work of others, nor yet, stand idly by while others serve.
GREATER IMANI will do all that it can to exert a positive influence on the African American community, of which, it is a principal servant. GREATER IMANI will offer new avenues of worship for the descendants of Africa. It will strive to repress evil and miseducation, and to increase righteousness.
GREATER IMANI is divinely ordained, and divinely sanctioned by the Hand of God Almighty. Therefore, GREATER IMANI will obey the command, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” Mark 16:15 At GREATER IMANI, we believe we will receive the promise, “my word…shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11
Having received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and been baptized, and being in agreement with Greater Imani’s Mission Statement, Purpose, Strategy, and Structure, I now feel led by the Holy Spirit to unite with the Greater Imani Church Family by way of this Covenant. In doing so, I commit myself to God and to my fellow members to the following:
- I will protect the unity of my church. I will do so by acting in love toward other members, by refusing to gossip and by following the leaders. Rom. 14:19; 1Peter 1:22 & Hebrews 13:17
- I will share the responsibility of my church. I will pray and work for its continued growth.
- I will invite others to attend and I will warmly welcome all those who visit. Thess. 1:1,2; Luke 14:23 & Romans 15:7
- I will support my church financially with my tithes and offerings. Gen. 28.22
- I will serve the ministry of my church. I will do this by discovering my gifts and talents.
- I will prepare to assist my Pastor and support the vision that the Lord has given him.
- I will develop a willing and winning spirit to support my church. 1 Peter 4:10; Eph. 4:11,12 & Philippians 2:3,4 & 7
- I will support the testimony of my church by attending faithfully, by living a godly life and by giving regularly. Hebrews 10:24; Philippians 1:27 & 1Cor. 16:2
With the knowledge that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and is risen from the dead with all power in heaven and earth in His hands, I covenate with my fellow believers and church family. AMEN